Thursday, March 18, 2010

Inconversable

There's an hour in the early morning when the world falls completely silent. So inhibited that to disturb this kind of quiet could be considered a sin.
During this time, I often forget, pulling my sliding glass door open in a fashion I am accustom to in the daylight hours. The sound which, at the time, seems like a mack truck barreling it's way down a pothole ridden roadway. This sound YELLS back at me, startling and causes a tremble to run down my spine. Catching my "bull in a china shop" way of doing things, I slow the speed to a dancers grace and step gingerly out onto my lanai.
Closing the door behind me, I sit, knees together, lowering myself to the chair, and placing my cup of gorgeous brunet on the table beside me. I pull open my pack of cigarettes, pick up my lighter and strike...This curbed time allows for no repeats in the case. If it were to fail in igniting, that would be the end of that attempt. However, luckily for me, the flame comes and as I hush the butane exhaust, I inhale and close my eyes.
In this moment, there is only a single car which hums its way across the pavement 5 miles down the hill...
Yes, it is this quiet.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing... absolutely amazing. This is a beautiful post, poetic and intriguing. I felt like I was there, in the hush, in the moment. Please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete